Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Basement Renovation Complete!

What we have here, folks, is an amazing transformation. Our house is /was a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom ranch. The basement runs the full footprint of the entire house and was partially finished, long ago. After performing about 2 weeks of demolition and several trips to the dump, I decided that if I wanted any quality of life over the next 2 years I would need a contractor.
The layout we designed would give us another bedroom, another full bathroom, a laundry room, a workout room, a storage room, a room for future oil tank housing, a workshop, and a great, great room.
Pictures here are before, during, and after.


Full-sized escape window with new window well in the bedroom.

New double-door opening out to patio in back yard. Double-hung windows facing the back too! This won't feel like a basement.

New electrical sub-panel for the whole basement.

Sub-grade plumbing so that floor height wasn't raised, therefore ceiling height remains at maximum.

Sewage ejector - does exactly what is sounds like it does.

Heating system split from 1 zone to 3 zones - with all plumbing set up for a 4th zone - possible master bedroom suite project in the future.


Insulation, sheetrock, recessed lights - almost done!
Nice, wide hallway at bottom of stairs.
Kitchenette / bar area.

Bathroom - travertine tile.
Glass block, frameless glass shower door.
The guest bedroom.


Sweet, big-screen TV and built-in cabinets.
Home gym (and winter mountain bike storage).
I did leave myself one finishing touch project - an overhead rolling pocket door separating the workshop from the rest of the basement. Picture below shows where it will go...
... and I've finally got my workshop back, and better than ever after a few days of organization and building new work surfaces.



No comments: